ONCE UPON A TIME, THERE WAS ELEGANCE
- Saint-Tropez, 1971. Daytime, outside. View of the port. Café Sénéquier, meeting place of the happy few on the French Riviera.
- In the background, the village is abuzz with the news of the imminent arrival of Brigitte Bardot with her admirers, to spend a night at one of the legendary Saint Tropez nightclubs. Music and champagne, non-stop! The stars have their own country here, governed by the laws of pleasure, carefree living and legend.
- Sunlight… Back to the port. Close-up of a terrace café where a young man is sketching an original design for swim shorts on a checked tablecloth. Inspired by surfer’s trunks, the design takes shape, very different from the traditional “swim briefs” of the time. Colourful and original, a new style is set!
- Made out of spinnaker canvas (sailing is, after all, the king of sports in the gulf of Saint-Tropez), the new swimsuit dries more quickly in the sun and wind. Close-up of the first Vilebrequin, the French word for “crankshaft” and a reference to its designer’s passion for automobiles.
- On the beaches of Saint-Tropez, the new swim trunks are an overnight success. Practical and comfortable, colourful and très chic, a trend is launched, a new brand is born.